Tuesday 5 April 2016

THE ENERMY CALLED MEDIOCRITY; The magic of thinking big and why you should set big goals


Written by: Promise Edem Nukunu


Whiles, they say THINK BIG, others, perhaps the average men, are satisfied with the old order of doing things. They are comfortable in their environment unaware of the things going on around them.
This is the central message; Think big. For instance, when you want to buy a bicycle,  It is better to think of buying a vehicle. Every single thing a man conceive is achievable.

Do you think big and set big goals? Or you think small and set goals you are comfortable with pursuing? Well, in this article; I am going to share with you some reasons why you should think big and set big goals.
 “I intend to be, the richest man in the world.” – Howard Hughes
One of the common traits shared by the drop out billionaires and richest people in the world is the ability to think big and set big goals. Now let me give you a practical illustration demonstrating the power of thinking big. Laskhmi Mittal built the largest steel producing company in the world; Mittal Steel.
Mukesh Ambani built the biggest refinery in the world; Reliance industries. 

Aliko Dangote is Africa’s greatest industrialist and largest cement producer. He is also planning on building the largest refinery in West Africa. Donald Trump is one of the biggest real estate developers in the world.
“Most people think small because most people are afraid of success, afraid of making decisions, afraid of winning. And that gives people like me a great advantage.” – Donald Trump
Ingvar Kamprad built the largest furniture making company in the world; IKEA. Jeff Bezos built the world’s largest bookstore; Amazon. Do you think these accomplishments were a result of luck? My answer is no. These great entrepreneurs had every reason to settle for less but they pressed on for bigger goals. If they hadn’t planned to be the biggest; they probably wouldn’t be there.

“I was worth about over a million dollars when I was twenty-three and over ten million dollars when I was twenty-four, and over a hundred million dollars when I was twenty-five and it wasn’t that important because I never did it for the money.” – Steve Jobs
My motive for writing this article is to challenge your perception. I want to use this article as a medium to open your mind to the tremendous power that lies in the art of thinking big. If you are an ardent reader of this business blog, then I believe you are aware of my personal goal to become a billionaire. I personally took up that goal because I love thinking big.

“I like thinking big. If you’re going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big.” – Donald Trump
Now why should you think big and set big goals? The following tips will help change your perception towards goal setting.
“I think I am very goal oriented. I’d like to win the America’s cup. I’d like Oracle to be the No 1 software company in the world. I still think it is possible to beat Microsoft.” – Larry Ellison
Why you should set big goals as you think big.
1. Thinking big forces you to challenge conventional wisdom
Most people have been unconsciously programmed to abide by tradition and a certain mindset. Anything outside this mindset of theirs is termed “impossible or outrageous.” Examples of statements portraying conventional wisdom are:
  • Go to school so you can get a good job and be secured.
  • Don’t stand out from the crowd; blend in.
  • Humans can’t fly.
  • Be contented with what you have.
But when you think big; you force your mind to challenge such limiting wisdom and your brain begins to fashion a way out. If the Wright brothers hadn’t thought big and set big goals; humans wouldn’t have been flying today in airplanes. If Columbus had agreed with conventional wisdom that the world is flat; I wonder what would have been of international trade today.
If Bill Gates had followed the conventional wisdom of “go to school and get a job”, I doubt if he would have been one of the richest men in the world. So never accept conventional wisdom without first giving it a thought. Think beyond conventional wisdom and it will be so.

2. Thinking big challenges you to go beyond your comfort zone
“Being first is more important to me. I have so much money. Whatever money is, it’s just a method of keeping score now. I mean, I certainly don’t need more money.” – Larry Ellison
When I set the goal to become a billionaire in my life time; I knew I was going way out of my reality. I felt uncomfortable because that goal seems like impossibility but I set it anyway and today, I am on the journey towards achieving such goal. That’s why I love thinking big and setting big goals; it pushes me beyond my own realm of possibilities.
Now let me ask this question: have you ever been to heaven before? What real life proof do you have that heaven exists? Is heaven not beyond human reality and understanding? Yet, billions of people hope and pray to enter heaven; a place they are not sure even exists.
To me, wanting to go to heaven is a big goal which is absolutely okay but what baffles me is that while people are comfortable pursuing the goal to make heaven, they feel awful setting a big goal to be accomplished here on earth. Don’t be in this group; learn to think big for yourself.

3. Thinking big stirs your passion and enthusiasm
How do you feel when you set a big goal? If you feel awful that you are gunning for something big, then you need to have your head re-examined. But if you feel excited and motivated, then you are on track. A big goal is meant to fire up your enthusiasm regardless of how challenging it is.

4. Thinking big unleashes your creative instinct
Thinking big unleashes your creative instinct and helps you uncover ideas that will help you achieve your goal. When the Wright brothers toyed with the idea that humans could fly; their minds came up with the possibility of such idea becoming a reality.
When I set the goal to become a billionaire; I initially doubted the possibility. But as my mind began to absorb the goal; I began to see the possibility of achieving the goal and my mind came up with a lot of creative ideas that will help bring that goal to reality.

5. Thinking big challenges you to expand your means; rather than live below your means
Have you heard the statement: “live below your means? Well, there’s nothing wrong with such statement but I believe that perception is for small thinkers and average achievers. Big thinkers don’t live below their means; they expand their means to suit the lifestyle they desire. Big thinkers are not contented with average results; they aim for excellence. So would you rather be a big thinker or you prefer to live in mediocrity? The choice is yours.

6. Thinking big gives you a purpose to live and die for
Thinking big and setting big goals give you a purpose to live and die for. It gives you something worth pursuing. When John F. Kennedy set the goal to put a man on the moon; it became a purpose he live for and today, he’s remembered for that goal.
When the Wright brothers conceived the idea that humans could fly; it became their life’s purpose. When Christopher Columbus set the goal to sail round the world despite the risk based on the assumption that the earth is flat; it became his life purpose. Every man has a purpose on earth; but you can only discover yours if you think big.

7. Thinking big eliminate impossibilities
Lastly, the true magic of thinking big is in the breaking of impossibilities. Thinking big makes the impossible possible. That’s why Adidas said “impossible is nothing.” This statement is only true if you think big and go for it.
To many, the goal to become a billionaire is out of their reality and an impossible mission. But to me, it’s achievable because I have a perception that accept big challenges. So when next you think about setting a goal or executing a project, think big and your thoughts will be brought into existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment